Northstar Travel Group’s prestigious Travel Weekly brand is currently seeking a Copy Editor, who successfully balances a passion for perfection with diplomacy and pragmatism. Strong experience in print publications is required.
This position is based out of our office in Secaucus, NJ. Home-based candidates will not be considered.
- Prepares stories for publication in Travel Weekly publication and completes handling of all copy and art before final signoff on pages.
- Checks facts and proofreads copy for print and online publication.
- Does first edit on e-newsletters, as assigned by the Deputy Managing Editor.
- Writes headlines and photo captions.
- Raises questions about stories as needed and discusses content with writers. Works with writers to resolve problems and ensures that stories and headlines are accurate and complete.
- Rewrites e-newsletter content if necessary, in consultation with a supervisor.
- Prints and distributes hard-copy proofs of news and destination pages to the Editor, Managing Editor, News Editor and Deputy Managing Editor for markups. When the markups are returned, enters those editors’ changes and corrections in the publishing system.
- Modifies pages electronically, when necessary.
- Formats and publishes e-newsletter content within the CMS and ExactTarget.
- On Friday, checks all copy before it moves from print to the digital edition of that week’s issue, looking for missing or broken links and other problems.
- Serves as the de facto backup to the Destinations Editor when he or she is traveling or on vacation, taking over responsibility for editing section copy, arranging page building and sending out Issue Reports (weekly updates detailing how many ads have been sold for each scheduled section, and thus how big each section will be).
- Performs other related duties as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Two to three years of related experience editing print copy and writing headlines is a must. Experience on the copy desk of a print publication that focuses on news is strongly preferred.
- Four-year college degree preferred. (Journalism major a plus)
- Must demonstrate a solid knowledge of AP style.
- Must have excellent writing and editing skills and the ability to create succinct and accurate headlines in the space allocated by the layout.
- Must have basic computer skills and working knowledge of InCopy/InDesign, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel (experience working in a CMS and/or with ExactTarget e-letter technology is a definite plus).
- Must have strong communication (oral and written) and organizational skills.
- Must have effective interpersonal skills: self-discipline, good judgment and the ability to interact well with a variety of writers and editors.
- Must be able to work well under pressure and meet aggressive, immutable deadlines.
- Must be able to perform multiple tasks simultaneously (multitask).
Please send your cover letter with compensation requirements and your resume to TWEditor@ntmllc.com. We offer a competitive compensation package, strong benefits and a dynamic and exciting culture. Check out what our employees have to say: http://www.northstartravelgroup.com/about-us/join-the-team.
Northstar Travel Group is an equal opportunity employer.